Kerala Governor M O H Farook Passes Away
Kerala Governor and ex Chief Minister of the Union Territory of Pondicherry M O H Farook (75) passed away yesterday night at 9:10 pm at Chennai Apollo Hospital due to kidney failure. He was under dialysis treatment. He was appointed the 19th Governor of Kerala on 25 August 2011 replacing R S Gavai and took charge of office on 8 September 2011. He was the Governor of Jharkand before being appointed as the Governor of Kerala. He was the youngest Chief Minister in the country, when he was elected as the Chief Minister of Pondicherry (now Puducherry) at the age of just 29.
- M O H Farook was born in the year 6 September 1937 at Karikal in Pondicherry of India. His parents were M O Hasan Kuthoos Maricar & Seyed Sultangani.
- M O H Farook participated in the struggle for liberation of Pondicherry even as a student in the years 1953 to 1954 at the time when Pondicherry was a French colony.
- He was the youngest Chief Minister in India at the age of 29 when he was elected the Chief Minister of Pondicherry in 1967.
- He was elected thrice as the Chief Minister of Puducherry (1967, 1969, and 1974).
- He was also a Member of Central Haj Committee at Mumbai (1975-2000).
- He also served as the Union Minister of the State for Civil Aviation & Tourism (Jun 1991 – Dec 1992).
- M O H Farook also occupied several positions like joint committee member to enquire the irregularities of securities & banking transaction from 1991-1996.
- He was thrice elected to LokSabha from Pondicherry in the years 1991, 1996 and 1999.
- M O H Farook was the opposition leader in the Pondicherry Legislative Assembly in the year 1990.
- He was also appointed as the Indian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia in the year 2004.
- He was the Governor of Jharkand from 2010 before becoming Kerala Governor.
- He has been the member of consultative committee in the ministry of science & technology and standing committee member on home affairs.
- He has been the Deputy Chief whip on Congress Parliamentary party LokSabha & committee member on members of Parliament local area development scheme.
Kerala Govt. announced holiday to all educational institutions and Govt. institutions today in the state as per the Negotiable Instrument Act. It’s a holiday for all Central Govt. institutions at Trivandrum also. Kerala CM postponed all the official programs for tomorrow. PSC and Kerala University postponed all the exams announced on tomorrow. Kerala government also declared a 7 day statewide mourning as a mark of respect to Governor MOH Farook.
The body has been taken to Puducherry and funeral will be at 4.30pm today at Karikal, Puducherry.